Sunday 7 September 2008

Saving time - considered delegating?

Over the years in business I have found the most difficult thing is to delegate work. I suppose I start from the premise that no-one else can do the work as well as I can! Many of us are very proud of how well we do all our tasks and cannot imagine anyone else comes up to our perfectionist standards.

It was a bitter blow to learn that others can do certain tasks as well as I can. We all have our own particular skills and we excel at certain tasks. This doesn't mean, however, that someone else cannot do these tasks just as well. With me it was the fear that another person would mess up my work that stopped me, but why should they?

Take letter writing. When I write a business letter I have my own style. So does the next person. Compare both letters and provided they are giving the same information, in an understandable way, each letter is fine.

So why not delegate. Anyone running their own small business can easily get overwhelmed with the amount of individual things they need to do each day or week. Sometimes, though, the amount of work that could be delegated does not warrant actually employing someone permanently. There is now an alternative - employ a Virtual Assistant. Have a look at my previous articles on Virtual Assistants for guidance. Or go to my website http://www.margaretgammons.co.uk/ for more information. On the Business Resources page of my website you will also find a book you can purchase for much fuller information.

No comments: